If your upcoming travel plans involve family reunions, in-laws, and Grandma’s infamous Christmas sweaters, you probably don’t have a choice where you’ll be spending the holidays. However, if you can make some room on your calendar, be sure to visit our Travel Tuesday featured city. Keep reading for a guide to the food, fun, and favorite destinations throughout Phoenix, Arizona!
Where to Camp
Sunny skies and moderate temperatures are no stranger to Phoenix in the winter months, making it an easy choice for your next camping vacation. Check out these top-rated, Good Sam RV parks in an around Phoenix.
- Desert Shadows RV Resort – Located in North Phoenix, just off I-17, this beautiful and well-kept RV Resort has earned all 10 points of its Good Sam rating in every category! They have 638 RV spaces, and plenty of amenities to satisfy a short term visit or permanent stay. This peaceful and friendly resort is run by the friendly staff and social director, who will keep you entertained with events such as bingo, live music concerts, holiday potlucks and more. The RV sites include 75-foot pull thru spaces and wide back-in spaces, all with concrete patios, 50/30 amp service and water and sewer hookups. The resort also boasts a huge laundry facility, clean restrooms and showers, and an 18,000 square feet clubhouse and pool building.
- Phoenix Metro RV Park – For the 55 and older crowd, this exclusive RV park is designed to be your “home away from home.” Sit back and relax among the desert and mountain landscapes while you enjoy the famous Phoenix sunrises and sunsets. Located right along I-17, this RV campground is convenient to some of Phoenix’s top shopping and dining locations. The park has 310 ample sites with full hookups, as well as a swimming pool, spa, indoor and outdoor recreation, and clubhouse. There’s plenty to do at Phoenix Metro, including shuffleboard tournaments, water exercise, casino trips and more!
- Good Life RV Resort – A popular escape for “snowbirds,” this RV resort has 56 acres of beautiful Arizona landscape. Open since 1979, Good Life welcomes multigenerational families to provide fun and memorable shared family experiences at the campground. A unique feature of this resort is the spacious ballroom that seats 1,240 people, a perfect venue for many of the resort’s events. You and your family will love the five-star amenities, ultra luxe pools, spas, fitness center, on-site massage center, and much more. At this age qualified resort, your days will be filled with fun in the sun!
What to Do
You could probably spend months in Phoenix before visiting all the area’s top attractions. For those of you on a tighter schedule, here are our top 3 activities to do while you’re in Phoenix.
- Climb Camelback Mountain – As one of the top tourist destinations in Arizona, this 2,704-ft tall mountain is perfect for hiking or climbing. The summit of the climb can be reached via the steep 1.2-mile Summit Trail or the low-key 1.5-mile Cholla Trail. Regardless of the path you take, the summit provides some of the best views in the city. Camelback Mountain is located in Echo Canyon Park halfway between Scottsdale and the Phoenix Mountains Preserve. Entry is free and the trails are open daily from sunrise to sunset.
- Visit the Phoenix Zoo – Your children will love a day trip to the Phoenix Zoo, where they can connect with natural and the animal kingdom. They have several specials going on this winter, including the “Art with LEGO® Bricks” exhibit, “ZooLights” holiday light displays, and an exciting Noon Year’s Eve party! The Phoenix Zoo is home to over 1,400 animals, including 30 endangered or threatened species.
- Tour the Desert Botanical Garden – This garden will provide a world-class experience for visitors of all ages. With indoor and outdoor exhibits, and seasonal traditions like the Las Noches de las Luminarias, this beautiful garden will help you discover the beauty and meaning of the desert. They also offer fun kids camps and programs for all ages that integrate science, art, music, and more!
Where to Eat
Breakfast: Vovomeena – This local shop is known for authentic crafted coffee, breakfast, and brunch, all with a Mexican flare. From the chicken and waffles, to banana bread french toast or mexican eggs benedict, this unique restaurant will give your taste buds something to remember!
Lunch: Little Miss BBQ – Technically Arizona is in the South, so there’s no surprise that this joint is a local favorite. Serving up Central Texas style BBQ, all their meats are freshly barbecued and served by weight on butcher paper with onions, pickles, jalapenos and white bread. Everything, from the sausages to sides are made fresh in house, using Arizona oak, pecan wood and Camelback Smokers. The most popular dish? Brisket, hands down.
Dinner: Welcome Diner – A family-friendly patio, scratch made classics, and genuine hospitality are all being served up at Welcome Diner. A frequent winner as the “Best of Phoenix,” this diner has become famous for its sandwiches, french fries, and awesome atmosphere. The menu includes comfort foods from around the US, each with a unique twist. Locals especially love the fried green tomato sandwich, PB&B Burger, and poutine.
How to Travel
Whether you’re driving from across the country, or just across the state, make sure your RV is in good condition before you hit the road to Phoenix. If it’s time for a new RV, visit our website to find an RV that will be perfect for all your upcoming roadtrips. RVUSA is dedicated to connecting you to the top RV destinations and dealers around the country! Check back every Monday for the Find of the Week, Wednesday for Dealer Spotlight, Throwback Thursday and Friday for Tips and Tricks.
If you’d like to receive our daily blog posts directly in your inbox, click here to join our free email list.